Winds of change



At home. A hart north wind is blowing and makes the air freezing. The great journey has come to an end. Ken needs to start working and Kaarna wants to start packing. It’s only two weeks until the moving day!



Ken walks around the yard and notices that one juniper tree has dried up and died. How is this possible? It’s been raining a lot during the summer here at home and the garden is flourishing.



Here comes Filia complaining:
- Strong girl! You have been away too long and I have done everything here! Now it’s your turn! I’m too old to be the only one here doing the gardening!
- Hey Filia… I’m just wondering what has happened to this juniper.
- I have to pee. Come to the toilet with me.

Filia sits on the toilet seat and tells:
- I killed that tree! I destroyed its roots with poison!
- Why?!?
- The pidgeons were having sex on it! Nobody’s allowed to do such disgusting thing on my backyard!
- Dear lord…




Ken has to sew 75 identical reindeer outfits for the Christmas performance of some kids’ dance school. That means a lot of brown fabric and no designer’s freedom. Can work get any more boring than this?

The packing takes surprisingly lot of time even if Kaarna doesn’t have much stuff. The new landlady told her that she can move in as soon as she wants, because the previous tennant has already left to France.

Kaarna is now all ready and the moving truck will take her and her belongings the next morning. Ken isn’t happy at all.
- I hate that you’ll be gone. I was hoping you weren’t serious about moving.
- Of course I was! I will have a whole new life!
- Or are you only running away from your problems?
- What problems? Oh, by the way, could you contact Mari and see that she gets her guitar?
- Sure, no problem. No problem at all…

They sit on the floor and enjoy the last cups of tea. Ken wonders:
- Do you know if the owner already has a new tennant coming here?
- I have no idea. Hopefully someone nice and quiet!
- I’m thinking that I want to rent this place! It’ll be my sewing studio!!!! It’s so embarrasing to have clients visiting my bedroom.

Ken wants to come to Nyland and help Kaarna with settling in the new home, but Kaarna says:
- Don’t. It’ll just be harder to say goodbyes. The Gorilla and I can manage fine.

They both cry when it’s time for Kaarna to climb up in the truck. 
- I feel like I’m losing a big part of myself, Ken sobs, but Kaarna replies:
- Go inside now, it’s starting to rain! 
But Ken stays outside in the rain waving until the truck disappears.

Let’s take a look at Kaarna, before we let her continue her new life in Nyland. She has already met some of her new neighbors and they seem really cool. They even helped her and The Gorilla to carry her stuff inside. Everything is fine. Kaarna will be fine. She’s ready to stand on her own two feet.


Hector wants to show something to Ken. They drive to a simple and shaggy log cabin surrounded by the lake Saimaa and large forests. Hector has inherited the cabin from his godfather, who recently passed away.

Look at all these old treasures, Hector shows.
- They are wonderful. But what’s with all the polyurethane someone has put on the window frames!? Your godfather had no idea about how to take care of a log cabin! 
- It’s a lot of work but eventually I will have a nice hideout where I can come to fish and ski and pick mushrooms.

- Could you help me make this place cozy? You are so good at that.
- Of course, and it’s a great timing too! I am going to reorganize my home completely and I can immediately think about a couple of things that would be nice here. Like our old #pirttikalusto, remember? And the stuffed deer head! I also have some rugs and curtains…

The moment Ken returns home, he feels the emptiness. But the sound of an ice cream van is a promise of consolation! And even the sun cares to peek behind the dark clouds. 

- I’ll be fine, Ken thinks.



Ken keeps himself busy so that he wouldn’t cry over Kaarna all the time. He now has a gigantic game of furniture chess to play! 
- My very own atelier!!!




He moves the furniture and other stuff back and forth to find a perfect balance.
- I’ll do this really quickly so I can continue with the reindeers…



- All done! I’m horribly late from the sewing schedule, but if I do long hours… Wait… this room is way too dark for sewing. I really must paint the walls first! Or maybe some cute wallpaper would be even nicer…



Ken even builds a wall to divide the new apartment. The smaller space will be a guest room in case Kaarna ever wants to visit. Ken is tremendously proud of himself. How about some sewing now?




The project escalates! Ken reorganizes the kitchen next! And after that he creates a cozy space in the bedroom.

- Sofa, comfy chairs… I can invite friends over to play boardgames or to watch a movie! But now I really should get back to the reindeers…

Ken tries to balance between renovating and sewing. He is exhausted after every sewing day. He literally crawls into his bed. Sewing reindeer suits from dawn to dusk is very monotonic and therefore pretty depressing. He even dreams about brown fabric and brown thread.

Hector has just returned from a trip in Sweden and comes to say hello and admire Ken’s new sewing room.
- Come in, but don’t look at the kitchen. It’s a mess, Ken says.



Hector looks anyway and says with a surprised tone:
- Wow… when did you last do the dishes!?

Ken sighs:
- It’s so hard to focus on anything… I try to do everything but only end up failing in everything. I can hardly sleep and I’m behind the sewing schedule. Oh! But most importantly… When can we start your cabin project?! 
- Get a grip of yourself! Work always comes first. Here, I brought you a gift from Sweden, Hector says.

- Oh! Dalahäst!!!! I’ve always wanted one! It’s beautiful! Thank you! You’re always so thoughtful. 
- Now let’s see your new realm. You’ve propably exhausted yourself with the renovation.
- Renovating is never exhausting! It gives me energy! Come, come! This way!

Ken shows the new rooms and Hector says that he has done a great job with everything.
- Yes! I really have! The guest room is the next thing on my to do list! Today’s to do list actually!
- And the reindeers?
- Oh be quiet!

 Suddenly Hector grabs Ken and starts dragging him towards the sewing machine!
- Work first! Now you stay here in your new pretty sewing room while I’m taking care of your smelly dishes.
- Hector!!!!! Nooooo!
- Now you be quiet!



After Hector has left, Ken sits down.

- I now have two new beautiful pieces of art, but nowhere to place them on. I must build a shelf for them! Or maybe I’ll wait after I have finished the guest room… And the reindeers. No, building a shelf is a quick job, I’ll do it first!

 

The dance school teacher brings some of the kids to fitting.
- Looks nice, but now I’m thinking that the tummy should be light brown. In all of the suits naturally. Please add a lighter fabric on the tummy.
- There’s the zipper… It’s not… I can’t just… well… okay. I’ll fix them, Ken replies and feels overwhelmingly tired.

- Next child on the table please, Ken asks and the kids start making even more noice:
- My turn!
- No!!! My turn my turn my turn!!!!
Taylor’s son however concentrates on shaking his pelvis. Ken’s head is about to explode and he thinks:
- That kid is severly disturbed. Taylor really knows how to destroy children.

 

Ken tells Hector that he has sewn all the reindeer suits so that he can help out in the cabin. It’s super fun!


- This reminds me of the little cabin we had years ago! Ken sighs.
- True, even the table and benches are the same ones. Why did we even sell it?
- Well… why did we even all the stupid things we did… Ok, I need to go home now. A lot of sewing to do in the morning.
- I thought you said you had finished it already.
- Oh right… yes… well… I’m sewing something just for fun tomorrow. Bye!
 
 

Ken’s inner interior decorator can’t rest until the guest room is ready. He admires the results.
- A bit too much Ikea, but this will do… Now where have I put my phone? I need to call Mari about the guitar. And then it’s time for the reindeers! 


Ken would rather be in Espoo at Ihmeellinen Pieni Maailma miniatyre fair. But no...

 

Hours turn to days and days turn to nights. Ken runs out of brown yarn, but he continues with a red one. Who cares… nobody will notice.
- Is that the rising sun? Did I sew all night?