The fall



 Days go by. Ken sighs:
- I have lost the joy of sewing. It used to be my favorite hobby but when it became my job it has slowly become very boring. It has nothing to do with creativity anymore…

Kaarna says:
- I know what you mean. Customers ruin everything. That’s what I hated about working as a graphic designer. I felt like a puppet who just does what the customers say… and not what I myself think looks good. I make a great logo and the customer wants to change this and that and in the end I just feel ashamed of the final result. Come, dinner time!


- What is smelling so delicious? Ken asks when coming to the kitchen.
- I made pasta bolognese!

Kaarna comments:
- Mari is an amazing cook, but she cooks way too rarely! And I am amazing at setting the table. We make a perfect team!

- Oh god I’m full!
Kaarna throws herself on the sofa, but Mari quickly snaps:
- Don’t try to lay down. You have to go to that apartment viewing.
- I won’t get the apartment anyway, what’s the point of going? It’s a posh area and they want somebody who can afford the rent!

Ken has something to say:
- May I suggest something different? Why don’t you stay here as my room mate? If you can squeeze yourself in the guest bed room, we can share the sewing room. There’s space for your drawing table too.
- Whaaaaaaaat….?!

The more they think about being roomies the better it feels.
- Can I place the TV in this room? Kaarna asks.
- Yes maybe, but if I’m sleeping, you can’t watch it. Also if you’re sleeping, I won’t use the sewing machine. Sleeping always comes first.
- Okay. I just don’t know where to get the money for hiring the gorilla and his moving truck again.
- We don’t need professionals. I’ll ask Hector.

Because Hector is the kindest man in the World he instantly promises to help. With Herbert and Hector’s Jeep they can bring Kaarna’s stuff back.
- What about the Vespa?
- Leave that to me! Hector says with enthusiasm in his voice.

 

Ken and Kaarna drive to Kaarna’s apartment and pack everything up. Hector arrives the next day.

Hector tries to give Ken advice about driving the Jeep, but Ken interrupts him:
- Hector! I’ve driven that old car a million times! I know how it works! Let’s go already! Kaarna! Get up!
- Somebody needs to be fed… Hector mumbles and puts on the helmet.

After eating lunch at a gas station the trip back home goes without problems. Kaarna and Ken carry all the stuff inside. The weather is freezing and their thoughts are with Hector who is still riding the moped.

Hector made it! 350 km in a cold rain driving 50 km/h. That’s one heroic performance!
(218 miles. 31 miles per hour)

Warm clothes and hot chicken soup and then a hot sauna. Hector has earned some pampering.

 

Kaarna puts all the Schjerfbeck posters on the wall along with her own photographs. Mari asks:
- What about all these paintings?
- I’ll probably paint over them. I don’t like them anymore.
- Can I have these photos?

- These photos would look even more perfect at my home!
- Sure you can have them! I’m glad you like at least something I’ve created.
- I do like your foxes…
- Hush… I don’t want to think about that anymore.
 

 
- Has it been raining for weeks and weeks? It sure feels like it has. I’m having trouble with the fall, Ken says to Kaarna who is on WhatsApp with Mari and can’t hear anything.
 
- Kaarna, do you have Netflix or some other streaming service?
- No, but I can use Mari’s account.
- Could we watch something? I need to escape the reality. There’s a secret ice cream stash in the freezer.
 
Ken thinks out aloud:
- Serial killers and ice cream. Is this how I’m going to spend the whole winter? I have nothing to look forward to.
- Your hippie soul needs adventures, right?
- Yes, I think so. It’s been really weird staying at one place after the summer on the road.
 
When the movie ends Ken asks:
- Are you very disappointed about not being able to live in Nyland?
- No! I love living here in Melukylä. I was only trying to escape… I couldn’t bear to think about seeing Mari with somebody else. Good night, hippie.
  

 Finally a day without rain! Ken walks around to admire the colors. He notices that there are no berries on the rowan trees.
- What does the old wisdom say about this? No berries means a winter with no snow? Or a very cold winter? Or a lot of snow? I can never remember. 

The long dark season without travelling means that Ken is going to have a lot of time for knitting.
 

- Oh no… now a children’s theater needs elf suits…
- Excellent, Kaarna says sarcastically.
- I’m going to call to Post right now and ask if they have work for me until Christmas and then I’ll reply to the theater that I’m fully booked.

 - What are you drawing?
- Nothing… Just something.
- A funny bunny! Can you make me a calender for next year also?
- Maybe.
 

 
- Mari, you look sooooo good! Kaarna sighs and rushes to kiss and hug Mari when she enters the kitchen. It has already become a habit that Mari is around. It makes Kaarna happy and that makes Ken happy.
 
- We’re thinking about a movie night. Is that ok with you Ken?
- Sorry girls, no. I’m going to bed right after preparing my packed lunch.
- Already?! It’s only half past seven! Mari wonders.
- Yes, I need to wake up before 5 a.m. The Post can’t wait!
 
These girls really don’t need a TV to keep them entertained, but still the TV room not being an option in the evenings from now on, makes Mari wonder:
- We could start spending more time at my home… I love watching movies with you after arguing about what to watch!
 

Mari continues:
- Also I’m a bit nervous about the sewing room right there behind the curtain. I would hate to hear Ken coming in when we are making love. You really can be super loud sometimes. We wouldn’t even notice if he was there sewing!
- Stop talking. Ken is sleeping! Concentrate!
 
 But no, Ken is not yet sleeping. He’s looking for his phone. There it is on the sewing table! He feels really uncomfortable sneaking around, because the sounds from Kaarna’s room are unmistakable.
 
 
Ken knows that waking up in the middle of the night will get a lot easier eventually. This morning it still sucks.