The Käärijä phenomenon

 

What an unbelievable weather! Kaarna and Ken are slowly recovering from the social weekend.


It takes time for introverts to be able to move on with their lives after something so special.



Even the evening is warm. Ken sighs happily:
- I wish the whole summer would be like this. No mosquitoes, no clouds, no wind. You’re awfully quiet, Kaarna. How’s your degree work coming along?
- Don’t even ask. This is driving me insane. By the way, are you going to watch the Eurovision song contest?
- Yes, in my bed. That way it doesn’t matter if I fall asleep.
- Mari and I will join you.
- Great! I’ll buy a lot of ice cream!

 

Seems like the whole Finland and a half of Europe has gone crazy over Käärijä, the representative of Finland in the Eurovision Song Contest. Kaarna hates the song, but obviously Mari has cought the Cha Cha Cha fever.


 Kaarna says:
- At least I’m glad you don’t have his hair-do!
- If Käärijä wins, I will wear this for the rest of May!
- You will have to, because he most certainly wins. The only time I have felt disgust this strongly towards a Finnish song, Finland won the competition.
- You hated Lordi too?! What’s wrong with you?!


- Hey Ken! I hope you love Cha Cha Cha?
- Erm… it’s a catchy song, but the words are horrible. I don’t appreciate the glorification of getting really drunk.
- Booooring! Am I the only one here who is cheering for Finland?
- Well, of course I hope Käärijä wins. Finnish people could use a little confidence boost. But you know how it goes… it’s always a lot of fuss and then eventually: Finland zero points.

The room has to be reorganized for the home audience. Ken dives into his bed while Kaarna and Mari drag the sofa next to him. 

 


Also the TV needs some special arrangements.


As always, most of the songs are boring. Ken and Kaarna have to admit that Käärijä´s song is at least different. And the rest of the Europe doesn´t even understand what he is singing about.



Ken sleeps happily and misses the end of the contest. Mari is genuinely disappointed with the result. 

Finland lost to Sweden because the professional juries loved the Swedish song way too much. Käärijä came in second, thanks to the public votes. The exciting counting of the votes made even Kaarna’s stomach hurt. So close!
- The situation requires a lot more ice cream.



In the morning Ken looks at Mari and says:
- I thought Sweden won, but you’re still wearing that?
- Finland won the people’s votes! For me Käärijä is the real winner. I will honor him by wearing this for the rest of May.
- Here we have a true fangirl, Kaarna smiles.