Calendars, cats and corona

A cozy evening at home before Ken’s bedtime.
- Two pairs! I won!
   

Kaarna is finally ready to tell Ken about the meeting at the unemployment office.
- They are sending me to a nurse to talk about my physical and mental health.
- That’s good?
- Yes. And another good thing is that I don’t have to start sending any job applications just yet.

 
- But they make me put my drawings on a public port folio. Instagram is fine, they say.
- Yay! Great idea!
- I can’t do it! My drawings are crap!
- Instagram is full of crap, and yours are not!
- Instagram is also full of artists whose talent is out of this world.
- Don’t follow them! Follow only the ones that you think are on your level!
 
 
- I think that damn Bianca is jealous. Look how she looks at me when I kiss you, Kaarna says.
- She’s not! Don’t be paranoid, Mari laughs.
- Bianca? Oh you brought the cat? Ken turns around.
 


Ken tries to pet the animal, but starts to sneeze immediately. Bianca is afraid of the loud noise.
- Sorry… allergy.
- Are you really allergic to cats? You’re not only pretending like Kaarna?
 
 - I can take medicine. Bianca is welcome. But please don’t let her in my bedroom.
 
Ken leaves the girls in the kitchen and makes himself comfortable on the couch. He turns on the TV. It’s Jyrki69´s day in Vain Elämää. Ken is feeling a great joy of the love between this 50something year old goth and Erika Vikman. Happy stories are desperately needed during these dark times and the way these two weird cartoonlike people have found each other is giving Ken hope and happiness.
 
Mari seems excited:
- Halloween! What plans do you have?
Kaarna says:
- No plans. We let the Americans keep their stupid Halloween.
Mari is appalled:
- I can’t believe you don’t celebrate Halloween! It’s the best holiday! Have you even noticed that @queen.felicia.upton celebrates all 31 days?
- Yes, she also thinks that she rules the Universe. She’s a nutcase…
- I hope you won’t get turned into ashes right now… Long live the Queen!
 
- I’m going to a Halloween party tomorrow. Come with me! It’ll be so much fun! Creepy looking sweets and pastries, pumpkin and spider decorations, sexy horror costumes, dancing, drinking…
- Not in a million years! Did you bring the litter box?
- Yes. It’s on the porch.
- Better take it inside before Bianca pisses on the furniture.
 
- Mari, come out of there… Seriously, stop. I can’t do this. The fucking cat is staring at me!
 
During the night Kaarna wakes up several times when Bianca is getting herself in trouble.


- You got caught hanging on the curtain with you nail? Stupid creature…   
 
The next day Kaarna tells about the cat’s nightly doings. Mari has slept happily through it all.
- Look what she did to my pillow.
- That’s a cheap Ikea pillow. I’ll buy you a new one! No harm done.
 
 Mari says:
- Now that Bianca is used to spending the night here, could you babysit her tonight when I go to the Halloween party?
- Not a chance! Ken’s allergy and Bianca’s beasty behaviour make it impossible for her to stay another night.
 

Since Ken can’t afford spending this November in the sunny and summery Fuerteventura like he so often does, he thinks:
- I might as well start Christmas already. There has to be a way to skip this fucking horrible vomitable shitass month. Oh, I’m starting to sound like Kaarna!
 
Meanwhile Kaarna is suffering with her public portfolio.
 
- Christmas pastries! Straight from the oven! Kaarna…? What’s going on?
- Putting my drawings on IG makes me sick. I think I will throw up on this trash bin.
 
Ken suggests:
- What if I post pictures of your calendar on my own account and then you will see that it gets likes and nice comments?
- Mmmmm burb mmmm
 

Ken goes to Rusta to get fairy lights, but seeing all the Christmas shit makes him sad and desperate. The ugly Christmas sweaters are the last straw.
- Why? Why? Why? Why do we adopt every single disgusting habit from the Americans? Sweaters that you only use a couple of hours in a year as a joke? Why do we produce billions of tons of useless crap? A friend of mine once said that humans are a mistake. She was so right. We deliberately destroy the planet.
  
 

 
 Kaarna is making progress:
- Your next year’s calendar is almost finished! I only have December left to draw.
- Yay! I’m so happy!
 
Ken asks:
- Did you see the comments on your drawings on my Instagram?
- Yes. People are just overly polite. They don’t really like them.
- Many of them asked where to buy the calendar!
- If it really was for sale nobody would be interested.
 
Ken continues:
- I dare you to print 20 pieces of the new calendar and I will sell them.
- I can’t handle the shame when nobody buys them.
- If I can’t sell all of them, I will do the dishes all year!
- All year? All the dishes? Ha! It’s a deal, kitchen slave!
 
 
 
Since Kaarna can’t afford having the calendars printed, Ken asks for pre-orders on his social media. Kaarna fears of dying of shame.
 
Ken notices that his throat doesn’t feel too good and starts to make some tea.
- I’m never ill, this is weird.
 
But soon he starts to feel cold too.
 
- Maybe you have that plague!
- Impossible. I never catch anything.
- But maybe you should do the test. I want to see how you put a stick through your nostrils and poke your brain with it!

The test quickly shows two lines.
- You do have the plague!!!
- I really thought I was immune to it…
- Do we both have to stay at home now?
- Unfortunately we should.
- Fuck shit fuck fuck fuck!!!!!!
 
On the next day also Kaarna is sick, but she sees the benefits:
- This gives me a perfect excuse to get HBO and watch Shameless! I’ve only seen the first four seasons and there’s 11 of them… That means I have 132 episodes to watch!
 
But the boring sofa life is not for Ken.
- It’s only a flu. Maybe I can’t deliver post, but I can sew. Sewing is nothing but sitting still anyway. Can I use your drawings for something?
- Yeah, whatever… Next episode, please!
 
Ken gets sweaty and a little weak when standing up, but he’s just not a person who can spend a day doing nothing.
 
- Time to take that screen to your own bed. I want my blanket and some sleep now. How many episodes have you watched?
- Only nine. 50 minutes each.
 

 
- What have you been making here?
- Pillows with your drawings on them!
- Do we need that many of them?
- No. I’m going to sell them!
- Nobody’s buying.
- Like nobody’s buying your calendars either?
- Right.
- I have 30 pre-orders for the calendars. Send the files to the printing house now!
 
 
Hector brings the groceries.
- Everything you asked for and a tiny surprise too!
- You’re an angel, thank you!
 
Kaarna is happy when she sees what Hector brought:
- Yay! Candies from Lotta’s! Hector is such a nice man.
- Yes, he’s too kind. But I hate making Hector run back and forth for us. He has his job and an old mother to take care of too. We should ask Mari next time.
- Nope, we shouldn’t. She hasn’t even asked how I am, not even once.
 
Ken asks:
- Isn’t Mari interested to know if you’re even alive?
- She knows I’m alive. I keep reporting my every cough and sneeze to her.
- So she doesn’t get a chance to ask how you’re feeling?
- Exactly! That way I can’t be disappointed at her and feel myself neglected.
- Sometimes you’re so weird.
 
 
Kaarna loses track of time while watching Shameless from waking up to falling asleep. Whenever she happens to look out of the window, it’s dark. She doesn’t know when it’s daytime and when it’s night. Fucking November.
 
Ken has beaten the plague. He must hurry with the pillows now that he still has one extra sick day from work.
 

A surprise message from Miss Amadoria!
- Look!!!! They want to give us tickets to their Christmas Show at Helsinki! It’s on the next weekend! Yay!!!! Some light and happiness for this horrible November!
- That’s a short notice. I still have fever, you need to go alone.
 
 


Kaarna and Ken are packing the calendars.
 
Kaarna thinks it’s boring and annoying, but Ken says:
- Remember last Christmas? This is so easy compared to freezing my ass off in a market booth.

- Here’s your money from the calendars and the pillows!
- Wow that’s a lot!!!
- See, work is not that bad after all?
- Hush!
 
  
  It´s time to travel to Helsinki and see Miss Amadoria´s drag show.

- Geez Ken… are you sure about those shoes?
- What’s wrong with them? I finally have a chance to wear my fancy shoes!

- You look 10 years older than you really are. And pearl earrings too!

- Oh no… I don’t have time to change anymore.

 
Oops! Ken should have checked the weather forecast. It’s a blizzard in Helsinki!
 
These theater shows please Ken a lot. Comfy chairs and beautiful surroundings. And the showtime is way before Ken’s bedtime. It’s a blessing that drag shows are no longer only for gay clubs. Even the audience is mostly middle aged women.

The show is breathtaking and Miss Amadoria looks stunning. Ken is in seventh heaven when he sees his selfmade corset on the stage.
 
After the show Miss Amadoria comes to say hello. Ken thanks him for the ticket:
- This was a life saver for me, thank you so much!
- No problem, I’m glad you came. Hey, I’ll be in Melukylä in January, there’s a production I’m involved in. I’ll text you when I have a minute, so we can have coffee or something.
- Wonderful! Can’t wait!