Towards Christmas

 Kaarna is finally healthy and gets to see Mari again!
 

- How’s that little monster?
- Bianca has settled in nicely… but you and I are going to get naked and dive into the bed right now!
- And close the bedroom door behind us?
- Of course. The only cat allowed in my bed is you!
 
- Wow… I had missed that so much! Kaarna sighs.
- Me too. Hey… can I ask you something?
- Always.
- Do you have any sexual fantasies?
- In addition to what we just did? No, not at the moment. Why?
- No reason…
 
Kaarna continues:
- I sense that you have some fantasies that you haven’t told me about.
- Promise you won’t laugh!
- I promise.
- Elves, Mari confesses.
- Elves? Like Christmas elves?
- Yes, sexy Christmas elves. Kaarna!!!You promised not to laugh!!!
- I’m not laughing! I’m smiling lovingly! So you mean fantasies that really are just fantasy, not something we can make happen? I do have one! The beast in the movie “Beauty and the Beast” before he turns into that slimy prince.
- Ha! Cool. Let’s watch that movie tonight!
 
 The girls are about to start watching the movie of the hot beast, when Mari asks:
- Would you like to spend the Christmas here with me?
- Erm… Are you going to throw some sort of a mega party… What’s your Christmas like?
- Peaceful. Food and decorations. Staying at home, just the two of us and Bianca.
- Then I’m happy to come. Mmmm, so nice. I’m glad you asked me. Thanks!
- Great. I’ll be mostly at the theater all December, so it’ll be wonderful after a busy month.
 
Who could resist that sexy beast? Not Bianca that´s for sure.

 
Hector is cutting down the trees under the power lines in the forests of Kutsetti Company. He gets Christmas trees to everyone he knows. That’s why Kaarna doesn’t have to steal one this year.
 
Ken still has some Christmas ornamets from his childhood.
- This big elf is made by my dad and I have made the tiny one.
- Cute. This wreath though… it looks like it has suffered during the years.
 
Ken thinks that buying new ornaments is just stupid. He rather repairs the old ones. That’s one way to say NO to the overconsumption.  
 

- There! As good as new if not even better!
 

 
 Ken and Kaarna are packing the pillows when Ken says:
- I think we should create a web shop and sell stuff that we make together. Your drawings and my sewings combined.
- Nobody would buy them. You only managed to sell the calendars and these pillows to your IG friends, because they pity me.
 

 
Kaarna hopes that this is all the snow they will get, but Ken says:
- I wish just a little more. Not much, but enough to be able to ski.
 
Ken sighs:
- How gray can the world be?
Kaarna replies:
- Looking at this this makes me depressed. Let’s go back to our colorful home.
- And eat chocolate.
- Do we have chocolate?
- Maybe!
 
Ken asks Kaarna to check the medicine cabinet.
- Yay! Fazer Blue Chocolate!
- Of course. The best medicine, works for everything.
 
Ken can’t wait until tomorrow! He opens the first door on his Christmas calendar even if it’s still November.
(You can print one for your dolls too. Check out my story. Both in 1:6 and 1:12 scale.)

 
Ken tries to convince Kaarna once again about starting a business together.
- I will lose my unemployment benefit!
- You will get the business starting money instead! Or would you rather start sending job applications?
- No!!!! I don’t want a job! It’s too much work!
- I know! Think about it, ok?
- Be quiet! Leave me be!

Kaarna tells Ken that she’s going to spend this Christmas with Mari.
- I’ll be alone at home? Ken asks.
- Well, yes. Do you feel bad?
- I don’t know.

 
 
 
Hector invites Ken to celebrate ”Pikkujoulu” at his cabin. Pikkujoulu is literally translated Tiny Christmas. It can be celabrated in any way and any day you want. School children’s Pikkujoulu (for example exchanging small gifts and eating ginger bread cookies) is very different from workplace Pikkujoulu (mainly about getting drunk and doing stuff to regret afterwards).
 
 - Oh boy, you have a real Christmas dinner here! This is no Pikkujoulu, but a real Christmas!
- Well, I just made some of the Christmas food, not all of them. Hope you enjoy!
 
When Hector hears that Ken has to spend Christmas all alone, he says:
- You are warmly welcome to celebrate Christmas with me and Mom! She would love to have you there!
- Thank you… but you know.. I kind of like the idea of a lonely Christmas. I want to experience that. It’ll be good practice for my old age. I have many lonely years ahead of me. Kaarna won’t be with me forever.
 
 
 One day Kaarna says:
- I’ve been thinking about that web shop shit and selling our crappy products… I will apply for the business starting money.
- Yay!!!!!
- But not before January!!!! Now I’m on a Christmas vacation!
- Fine, Ken laughs.
   
 - Things seem to be great between you and Mari these days?
- Yes, it’s wonderful. I feel so stable, somehow… mentally healthy! The only thing that bugs me is that stupid cat. I have to hide all my things, or else she will tear everything apart. That monster hates me.
- Minor problem compared to what you had.
- Oh yes! It’s not a big deal. I don’t have to like the creature.
 
 

There’s a huge Christmas tree in the supermarket. And there are notes hanging on the branches. On the notes there are gift wishes made by kids of the local families who struggle financially. They hope that other people could donate the gifts for them. Reading the notes breaks Ken’s heart. He really can’t ignore them, so he chooses three notes.
- I will buy gifts for these kids instead of my friends and family.
 
- No Christmas gifts for you this year, Ken says and kicks off his shoes.
- Why the hell not?! I’ve been good!
- Because I bought loads of stuff for some poor kids instead.
- Cool! I could do that too!
- No, you couldn’t…
 
Ken explains:
- There are only really expensive wishes left. You can’t afford any of them.
- Crap! I hope someone else can.
- Me too. It must be terrible to be a poor teenager in this day and age, when all their friends have expensive clothes and phones and goddamn moped cars. The gap between the rich and the poor in our country makes me so mad! What has happened to my good old Finland, equality and welfare? The blue collar workers can’t survive on their salary anymore! And the rich ones are ridicilously rich! We even have lost the equal health care!
- Calm down, Ken!
- I’ll be in my bed crying!
- The balls of Christ! What has gotten into you?! A demon?
 

Who’s the winner of the ”World’s Most Boring Way to Celebrate the Independence Day” contest? 
 
Yes, Finland is! 
 
It´s the 6th of December and the Finns sit at home, turn on the TV and watch how the president shakes hands with 1300 guests wearing tailcoats and evening gowns. 
 

Finland has been independent since 1917. And we have had 77 years of peace after the last war that threatened our independence. Ken and Kaarna and I have grown to trust that we are safe and will live in peace all our lives. We have been a lucky generation. But the things happening in Europe right now have shattered that trust. The world is not a safe place and only one man can have enough power to destroy the lives of millions of people. So today we are grateful of our freedom and homes and the food we still have on our tables.